Saturday, March 21, 2009

Postmodern

I started going to a new group therapy a month ago. Last week, the therapist, a Native American medicine man (who also has a PhD in psychology from Cornell, for all you skeptics), worked with me for about an hour. He said that I am tricky to work with because I am so postmodern.

Postmodernism, as defined by the OED: "a style and concept in the arts characterized by distrust of theories and ideologies and by the drawing of attention to conventions."

A few days ago, I told my best friend, Shaant, what the therapist had said, and Shaant said, "I want to be postmodern! Can I be postmodern?" I said, "Don't worry, you're at least as postmodern as I am." Clearly he did not understand that this is a negative attribute in the pursuit of spiritual healing.

This week's quote from group: "Here's a tissue for your issues." I thought it was funny.

3 comments:

FamiLee said...

That's awesome!

Linda said...

I've been so excited to find you've posted something new the last few times. I've been missing your posts. I'll try to call you sometime to talk. Love you.

Bekah said...

Do you enjoy the Beatles' "White Album"? It is very postmodern as well.

Are there any particular theories or ideologies of which you are distrustful? Or are you distrustful of them on a more subconcious level?

"Here's a tissue for your issues." HA! I think Greg should start using that line.